Dana Strand represents an environmentally-friendly development, constructed using sustainable building methods and incorporates a number of green features designed to ensure its long-term energy-efficiency and sustainability. To this end, Dana Strand has achieved USBC LEED-H Gold certification.
- Features and Amenities
- Resident Services
- Floor Plans
- More Photos
Visit us at:
410 North Hawaiian Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90744
Leasing Office Hours:
Mon – Fri: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Dana Strand Senior Apartments consists of three stories of high-quality Type V construction and provide 99 affordable residential units, one manager’s unit and parking spaces, all of which are built on grade.
This property’s amenities include:
- Community room with kitchen
- Computer classroom
- Courtyard with community gardens
- Energy Star-rated lighting, windows and appliances
USGBC LEED-H Gold Certified
To ensure that Dana Strand uses water in the most thorough manner possible, ROEM actively sought to implement a water system that increases efficiency both indoors and outdoors. To that end, Dana Strand has implemented an irrigation system and a landscape design that is highly efficient and includes drip irrigations, high-efficiency nozzles, and moisture sensor. For indoor water use, high-efficiency ﬁxtures are installed for lavatory and shower at 2.00 gallon per minute or less. All units have innovative dual-ﬂush toilets.
Energy and Atmosphere
High-energy efficiency features are integrated into the design of the community from the conceptual stages. These include items such as ENERGY STAR refrigerators, bathroom fans with humidistat controllers, and dishwashers using 6.0 gallons per cycle or less. All lighting is high-efficacy, which reduces electricity consumption. Most importantly, Dana Strand is designed to exceed Title-24 standard by 30.6%, which included the following features that optimize the energy performance for the building:
- R-30 Insulation in attic space
- R-13 Insulation in exterior walls
- Quality Installation Insulation by HERS Rater
- Refrigerant Charge Test
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) Veriﬁcation
- Low-E Windows with U-Value of 0.35 and SHGC of 0.35
- Efficiency Central Boiler Water Heater System
Indoor Air Quality
Providing a clean and ventilated indoor environment is important to the health of our occupants. To that end, ROEM has implemented a Construction Indoor Air Quality Management Plan to ensure that the project reach the goal of maintaining acceptable in-door air quality before, during and after construction, and that prevented contamination prior to occupancy. The execution of the plan can be seen in the protection of HVAC equipment and ducts, pollutants source control, housekeeping rules, and most importantly, a 2-week initial building ﬂush-out to remove any remaining air contaminants and to help prevent future contaminations.
Material and Resources
ROEM also considered the sustainability of products used in the development of Dana Strand by focusing on the integration of environmentally preferable products. These include Green Label Plus carpet, low VOC paint, and locally produced cement and gypsum board. To eliminate the need for solid lumber, engineered structured materials such as Oriented Strand Boards have been used. To minimize construction waste, a detailed cut list and lumber order were made for efficient framing. Lastly, the project achieved a 75% construction waste diversion from landﬁll by recycling construction materials such as wood, metal, drywall, and concrete.
- 2013 National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) Award of Merit in Housing and Community Development and Nomination for National Award of Excellence
- 2013 National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Gold Award for Best 50+ Affordable Rental Community
- 2012 MetLife/Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) Award
- 2012 National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) Award of Merit in Housing and Community Development
- Golden Nugget Award of Merit for Senior Affordable Housing